Chromecast is a nifty little device that allows you to use your favorite Android, iOS, Windows or Apple device in conjunction with your TV. Consider this scenario: You are sitting on the couch with your tablet in hand. You decide you want to watch NetFlix or Youtube or any of an increasing number of applications. You realize that the show would be much more enjoyable on the larger TV screen in front of you. No problem! Click the Chromecast icon in your app and choose to view on the Chromecast of your choice, after all, at just $29.99 from Amazon, there's no reason not to have one on multiple TVs in your house. Your mobile device then becomes a remote control for the video. You can pause, fast forward, change volume and of course move to any other video of your choice.
Setup is simple and straightforward, though the list below may seem long, I accomplished my initial install and setup in about 10 minutes.
- Plug in the device to an HDMI port on your TV.
- Connect power to the device. Yes, you will need power to the Chromecast device. Given the commercials I'd seen about the device, they just show plugging in your Chromecast to the TV and go. Not so. This isn't that big of a deal, but be aware of the powering options:
- The Chromecast comes with all the cords and power adapters you'll need.
- You can power the Chromecast by connecting the power cable to a USB port on your TV. If your TV has a USB connector this is the easiest way to go.
- Otherwise, you'll need to connect the power to the provided AC adapter and plug that into a power outlet.
- Visit Google.com/chromecast/setup from your mobile device (or PC, but recommend using mobile to get everything ready to go right from there).
- install and launch Chrome cast app from your mobile device of choice.
- The Chromecast app finds the Chromecast device.
- Displays code on TV and mobile device to ensure linkage.
- Name your Chromecast so you can distinguish between multiple devices.
- I have one named Porch for use on my porch TV. I anticipate having a Living Room and Bedroom device shortly. Naming helps you identify which TV you want to "cast" to.
- Yes, you can easily move the Chromecast from one TV to another with no muss or fuss.
- Provide your login credentials to access your WiFi router.
- Chromecast joins network and begins to update itself over the internet then reboots itself.
- Applies update, which turns out to be the longest part of the install (couple minutes) and launches the Chromecast on your TV!
- You are ready to go!
You now fire up the Chromecast enabled app of your choice, say Netflix or Youtube, pick what you want to watch and press the Chromecast icon within the video app of your choice (see video below).
I considered shooting a video, but this one from DetroitBORG is great, so sharing it below.
- First 5 minutes cover unboxing, components, install and setup step by step.
- Rest of the video shows how to use Chromecast with Android, iOS, Chromebook, Windows & OSX
- I can't help pointing out his showing just one of the many benefits of Android vs. iOS <grin>.